Current Job Postings
Official Bird Counter (Contract Position)
Nature NB is coordinating a new project to collect baseline shorebird and seabird data in the Port of Saint John region. This work is funded by Fisheries and Oceans Canada. To support this, we are offering a paid contract to an experienced birder who will conduct year-round shorebird and seabird surveys throughout the Saint John area from May 2019 – March 2020. The Official Counter will be employed for roughly sixteen (16) weeks. There may be an opportunity for a contract extension for an additional year (April 2020 – March 2021) as part of this project. Compensation will be commensurate with experience/ qualifications ($50-90/hour).
- Ensure the consistent application of an established shorebird and seabird count method at various coastal sites throughout the Saint John area;
- Develop and compile observation data in written and digital formats in collaboration with Nature NB and project partners;
- Collaborate with volunteers and project partners to link this work with other baseline data collection efforts occurring in the Port of Saint John.
- Extensive field experience (3-5+ years) monitoring and identifying seabirds, shorebirds, and other bird species in New Brunswick;
- Ability to navigate uneven terrain and walk long distances along trails and coastal sites;
- Experience using a GPS, spotting scope, and binoculars;
- Collect data on other wildlife (including forest/wetland birds) and on human use of coastal areas
- Excellent time-management and organization skills;
- Flexible schedule, including willingness to work long days and weekends if needed;
- Valid driver’s license with access to a vehicle (mileage to be compensated at $0.40/km).
- Interest in promoting and educating others about bird watching and conservation;
- Familiarity with Saint John County and surrounding coastal areas;
- Experience using eBird will be considered an asset;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Please indicate in a cover letter how you meet these qualifications and your expected compensation rate (per hour);
- Cover letters and any supporting documentation can be sent to Vanessa Roy-McDougall ([email protected]);
- You may be tested on your seabird and shorebird identification knowledge as part of the application process.
Application deadline: April 21, 2019
We thank all candidates for their interest in the position, but only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.